Chief Scientist (PI)
Division of Quantum Materials and Devices
Research Group: Quantum Photonics Group
Zhiliang Yuan received his doctoral and post-doctoral training from Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences (1993 - 1997) and University of Oxford (1997-2001), respectively. He then spent 20-years at Toshiba Cambridge Research Laboratory before taking up the prestigious appointment as Chief Scientist at Beijing Academy of Quantum Information Sciences (BAQIS).
He is renowned for high-speed quantum key distribution (QKD), with notable achievements including the first 100 km (2003) and 600km (2020) fiber communication distances as well as the first 1 Mbit/s (2008) and 10 Mbit/s (2018) QKD systems. His other contributions include the first single photon LED (2001), self-differencing detectors (2006), directly phase-modulated source (2015) and twin-field QKD protocol (2017). He has published 130+ refereed journal publications, 130+ conference papers including 40+ invited/post-deadline，and 50+ patents.
(A complete list can be found in Google Scholar or Web of Science.)
1. L Zhou, J P Lin, Y M Jing, and Z L Yuan.“Twin-field quantum key distribution without optical frequency dissemination,” Nature Communications 14, 928 (2023).
2. T. K. Paraiso, T. Roger, D. G. Marangon, I. De Marco, M. Sanzaro, R. I. Woodward, J. F. Dynes, Z. L. Yuan, and A. J. Shields, “A photonic integrated quantum secure communication system,” Nature Photonics (2021).
3. M. Pittaluga, M. Minder, M. Lucamarini, M. Sanzaro, R. I. Woodward, M.-J. Li, Z. L. Yuan, and A. J. Shields, “600 km repeater-like quantum communication with dual-band stabilisation,” Nature Photonics 15, 530 – 535 (2021).
4. Z. L. Yuan, A. Plews, R. Takahashi, K. Doi, W. Tam, A. W. Sharpe, A. R. Dixon, E. Lavelle, J. F. Dynes, A. Murakami, M. Kujiraoka, M. Lucamarini, Y. Tanizawa, H. Sato, and A. J. Shields, “10 Mb/s quantum key distribution,” Journal of Lightwave Technology 36, 3427 (2018).
5. M. Lucamarini, Z. L. Yuan, J. F. Dynes, and A. J. Shields, “Overcoming the rate-distance limit of quantum key distribution without quantum repeater,” Nature 557, 400–403 (2018).
6. Z. L. Yuan, B. Frohlich, M. Lucamarini, G. L. Roberts, J. F. Dynes, and A. J. Shields, “Directly phase-modulated light source,” Physical Review X 6, 031044 (2016).
7. K. A. Patel, J. F. Dynes, I. Choi, A. W. Sharpe, A. R. Dixon, Z. L. Yuan, R. V. Penty, and A. J. Shields, “Coexistence of high-bit-rate quantum key distribution and data on optical fiber,” Physical Review X 2, 041010 (2012).
8. Z. L. Yuan, B. E. Kardynal, A. W. Sharpe, and A. J. Shields, “High speed single photon detection in the near infrared,” Applied Physics Letters 91, 041114 (2007).
9. C. Gobby, Z. L. Yuan, and A. J. Shields, “Quantum key distribution over 122 km of standard telecom fiber,” Applied Physics Letters 84, 3762–3764 (2004).
10. Z. L. Yuan, B. E. Kardynal, R. M. Stevenson, A. J. Shields, C. J. Lobo, K. Cooper, N. S. Beattie, D. A. Ritchie, and M. Pepper, “Electrically driven single-photon source,” Science 295, 102 (2002).